To open a port in the Windows firewall for TCP access
- On the Start menu, click Run, type WF.msc, and then click OK.
- In the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, in the left pane, right-click Inbound Rules, and then click New Rule in the action pane (upper right corner).
- In the Rule Type dialog box, select Port, and then click Next.
- In the Protocol and Ports dialog box, select TCP. Select Specific local ports, and then type the port number of the instance of the Database Engine, In my case we are using the default which is 3306.
- Click Next.
- In the Action dialog box, select Allow the connection, and then click Next.
- In the Profile dialog box, I am going to Leave Domain turned on and turn private and public on.
- Then click Next.
- In the Name dialog box, type "MySQL (3306)” and for a description I am putting in the same.
- Then click Finish.
You should now be able to connect from external computers.
You may also want to follow the same process but as an outbound rule, just to be safe.